Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Your Actions Speak Louder Than Words

I have subscribed to Proverbs 31 ministry's daily email devotional. I highly recommend that you sign up for it if you are need of a daily devotion that is easily accessible and doesn't take a lot of time to prepare for. Not that we should limit our devotions to short spurts, but for me it is easier when it is in my inbox. I take time to read it and meditate on it all day. It is the perfect way for me get my daily devotion.

I think it was yesterday's devotion that focused on our "moral authority". Being on an island where most no one "knows" me is the perfect opportunity to do all of the things I wouldn't do at home. I thought about all that I could do when I was here without my family, I could go out at night, hang out with friends have some carefree days. What I found was that that is not "me". I haven't been out at night to hang out at all and I really would rather be at the coffee shop or in my room relaxing.

When I got away from all the influences in my life I could really see who I have become. I like who I am today and I want to focus on the little things that I want to improve which is making sure my actions match my words and my values. I don't go out and get trashed weekly or monthly, although there are countless opportunities, because it doesn't match my values. The devotion that I mentioned earlier alludes to a similar point.

Titus 2:11-12" For the grace of God has been revealed, bringing salvation to all people. And we are instructed to turn from godless living and sinful pleasures. We should live in this evil world with wisdom, righteousness, and devotion to God." (NLT)

Even though I fail often, I try to make my life a witness to others of what it means to be a christian. I try to hold my self to a Godly lifestyle. Sure I make mistakes and some people might say that I don't speak out against certain actions/language that would be considered sinful. I want people to know who I am so that I don't have to preach to them. If I preach to them I would have to eat my words because I am sure that I use actions/language on occasion that is probably sinful. I am trying to live the Titus 2 lifestyle. A life full of wisdom, which comes from the Lord; righteousness and devotion to God.

May I keep my actions and words in check with this holy scripture today, Lord. Guide my feet so that I can walk in your ways and be a beacon for you today.

In Jesus' sweet name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment